Employers : FAQs

What is a remittance report?

A remittance report is used to report monthly fringe benefits. Fringe benefits must be funded for all employees doing covered work in accordance with your Carpenters' Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). Some Agreements state that those benefits must be paid through the Fund's iRemit system. If you choose to pay with paper remittances, and your agreement allows you to do so, contact the Fund office for a packet of Remittance Reports. These reports are filled out by an employer so they can accurately calculate, report, and pay for the Fringe Benefit Contributions.

Where do I send remittance reports?

Assuming you don't use iRemit, which is the recommended payment method, the remittance reports and payments should be mailed to:

Philadelphia Carpenters Benefit Funds

1811 Spring Garden Street

Philadelphia, PA 19130

Please make checks payable to Philadelphia Carpenters' Benefit Funds

When are the remittance reports due?

It is imperative that the Carpenters Health & Welfare Fund receives their fringe benefit contributions in a prompt and timely fashion. Benefits are due within 10 (ten) days of the work week ending date for which you are Paying. Please note that if your work week ends on a Friday, and your employees are paid on a Tuesday, then the benefits are due within 10 (ten) days of that Friday. Also, please note that upon authorization from the Board of Trustees, a company may pay their fringe benefit contributions on a monthly basis, due the fifteenth (l5th of the following month for the prior month.

What happens if the remittance report is received or filed on-line later than the 10 days or the
15th of the month?

Liquidated Damages will be assessed to that report. They are calculated at 10% of the total fringe benefit contribution. All employers are expected to pay their Liquidated Damages immediatley after being notified.  

I understand there are several areas within the Fund's jurisdiction. If my company has job sites in multiple areas, can I report all the hours on one form?

Yes, provided those jobs are all at the same benefit rate. Please note that benefit rates can vary across geographic areas (such as the state of Delaware or the Lehigh Valley)

What rate code should I pay?

Rate codes vary depending on the type of work, and the location of that work. Floor laying rates are different than Dock building rates, which are different than Cabinet and Mill shop rates and Carpentry rates. Carpentry rates are different in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania than in the City of Philadelphia. Millwright rates also vary and are different in the State of Delaware then in the Philadelphia Metro Area. Please consult your Union Business Agent or call the Collections Department of the Health and Welfare Fund.

What about apprentice rates? How can I determine an Apprentice's benefit rate?

For the most up to date apprentice information, please contact the Joint Apprentice office at (215) 824-2300

If we performed no work during the month, are remittance reports still required?

YES. An inactive remittance report must be filed with the Fund Office. These reports can be filed on-line simply by submitting Zero hours worked for each member, and then submitting a payment of Zero dollars. Inactive remittance reports can also be filed via paper remittance. Should your company anticipate that no work will be preformed in our jurisdiction for the foreseeable future, please contact the Fund office to be placed on the Inactive Contractors List.

Why is an inactive report required?

It is important for the Fund Office to know your activity status. If you do not file a remittance report, we do not know whether you are inactive or delinquent. Your company will be placed on our Delinquency List until the Fund Office receives a remittance report indicating you did not work in the jurisdiction.

What is a delinquency list?

This is a list of all Employers who have not submitted their remittance reports by their due date. This list is sent to the Board of Trustees, Business Agents, Fund Auditors, and to the Fund's Attorneys. Employers that find themselves on a delinquency list risk covered members being withheld from the job site (effectively being shut down) or having a claim placed against their Surety Bond.

What is a Surety Bond?

All contractors that work in our jurisdiction are required to have a Surety Bond in place. This bond is an insurance policy to cover lost wages and fringes of our membership. If you are planning to work in the jurisdiction of the Metropolitan Regional Council, and do not have a bond, please be advised that no work can be preformed. Currently, most Collective Bargaining Agreements call for a $75,000 Surety Bond. Please call the fund office with any specific bond questions. Any contractors looking for a Bonding agency can be referred to:
Universal Service Agency
501 Office Center Drive, Suite 128
Ft. Washington, PA 19034-3208
215-646-2400 (phone)
800-646-2401 (phone)

What is a Fund payroll audit?

The Funds Auditors may contact you six months to a year after you sign your first CBA. The Auditors will conduct a review of your payroll records to verify accurate and timely reporting and payment of benefit contributions. Any discrepancies found by the Auditor will be billed to your company. When you signed your CBA, you agreed to cooperate with the Auditors and to provide the information requested. Audits are routinely scheduled with all of our signed contractors.

Will I be charged for this audit?

An appearance fee of $100.00 MAY be billed to contractors who fail to be present or prepared at the time of the scheduled audit. This fee encourages Employers to comply with appointment letters from the audit staff and to give proper notification in the event that an audit date is inconvenient. There MAY be an additional audit fee of $250.00 for Employers that are audited more frequently because of their delinquencies.

How often will I be audited?

Generally, companies are audited once every 2 1/2 to 3 years. However audits can be scheduled at any time, and at the Fund's discression.

Home   |   Contact Us   |   Credits
© 2014 Carpenters Benefit Funds      www.philacarpenterfunds.org     1811 Spring Garden Street Philadelphia, PA 19130-3916 | (phone) 215-568-0430 | (fax) 215-496-0173
1811 Spring Garden Street Philadelphia, PA 19130-3916 | (phone) 215-568-0430 | (fax) 215-496-0173